Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Odds & Ends of This & That

Since I became a part of this smart phone culture, I've really lazied up on the blogging. After all, how easy is it to snap, click share, and then let you oooh and aahhh over my culinary creations via facebook? Easy, yes. Interesting? not so much.

So this post is a tribute to my smart phone laziness. Food that I only have a pic or two to prove I made. Definitely no action shots or step by step photo instructions.

For our family camping trip I contributed, most with a few modifications from their original source:

Honey Nut Ginger Chex Mix with dried cranberries

the recipe calls for almonds, but I used walnuts and most recently some pecans and added raisins

Carrot Cake in honor of my parents' 50th birthdays



Sour Cream Coffee Cake for a quick breakfast


Black Bean Burgers

There is no picture of these burgers. I barely remembered them.
First, because I nearly lost my left thumb trying to hurriedly prepare them before we left for the first leg of our long journey to Deep Creek Campground, NC.
Second, because pretty much they didn't get eaten. In typical Harris-bloodline fashion, everyone brought WAY too much food. A thing that can be said about anyone flowing down from the genes of Melda Harris herself is that we do not want people to go hungry. We obsess about food. It's pretty close to an illness kind of obsession. We talk about what we are going to eat, when we're going to buy the ingredients, who's going to make what, followed by arguments of who's doing too much and trying to convince them to do less because they are already too busy of a person, and then secretly doing more to out-do this person. For instance, there was a series of emails between me, my mom, & Janna going 'round about who was bringing what.

"I've got sandwich stuff"
"I'll bring all the meats and fixins for the grill"
"I'll bring all paper goods etc"

This type of thing is normal, I think. Then I start reading some blogs about things I want to bring so I add a few more things to the list. Then my mom starts adding things to her list but not telling me and then she confesses at the campsite it was because she thought I was doing too much and she wasn't doing enough. Then Janna shows up with way more than she committed to including but not limited to these really delish PB&J bars and a loaf of to-die-for Banana Bread and snacks and drinks and way more that I cannot even remember. All the while I was just trying to bring more so that it would take the burden off of my mom who amazingly works triple time every week and Janna who was making a pit stop in the ATL so she should have just been able to have fun and not worry about the status of her cooler ice :)
Well, many who have gone before us have done this same thing and we vowed we would not over-pack the food next time, but I can pretty much guarantee we will have forgotten this debacle by then and do it again.


And probably some other things but I can't remember anymore and there is no photo evidence.
These are some chicken packets full of veggies and lemons and spices that were spot on.

These are some chicken wings that we did not even need, but we cooked them and then ate them cold on our hike the next day.

This is that carrot cake after 2 days in the car. It really was delicious though.

This is LG & JW filling their plates with boston butt sandwiches, greek salad & baked beans.

This is our food tent on the left. Tent #1 of our 5 tent complex that housed all of the too much food that we brought. Notice how my mom is in there hard at work and AY & MG are playing a game of ladder ball. This is camping.







No comments:

Post a Comment