Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

and the last shall be first

This weekend I witnessed a momentous occasion. My sister, Laura Grace Gianeskis, graduated cum laude from Georgia Southern University. She is the first one of my siblings to get that piece of paper and I couldn't be more proud of her.
This encouraged me to wrap up my own educational journey. Believing that I met all graduation requirements as of last semester, I trucked over to my advisor's office this morning.

Um, hi. I think I am done with school, but I was preoccupied with planning a wedding and didn't bother to apply for graduation last semester... or the one before that. 


Embarrassing. Nine years later, I'm finally ready to be done with higher education.
But, I can say for my lil old self, that I did work hard, I did learn, and I did end up student loan debt free (with much help and many jobs).

The meeting went better than expected and I anticipate all this paperwork being turned in tomorrow. Alas, I missed the deadline by 2 days. Seriously? This would happen to me. And okay, no big deal, I'll just apply for the next term. Oh, when is that? NEXT May. Whatev. It's still done.


In other news, the Bulls are in the playoffs. For those of you residing with a man you will understand that this is like living alone temporarily. Well, with the exception of the constant roar of the tv and intermittent outbursts from the other room.

"Hot Sauce!"


What does that even mean?


So, that leaves Buddy & I here in the office, nestled among boxes yet to be packed. And lucky you, we're blogging!


Tonight for dinner I made a calorie-conscious meal in keeping with my new health initiatives.

Borrowed from Cooking Light,

Herb & Goat Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
served with sauteed spinach and whole wheat couscous


1/4 cup panko Japanese breadcrumbs
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 4 oz package goat cheese
4 6 oz skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 10 oz package fresh spinach
Lemon Wedges (optional)


1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Combine first four ingredients in a small bowl. Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each breast half to form a pocket Stuff 2 Tablespoons cheese mixture into each pocket; close opening with a wooden pick. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. 





3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to pan. Add chicken to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on 1 side or until browned. Arrange chicken on a baking sheet (browned side up); broil for 8 minutes or until done.


4. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, red pepper, and spinach; cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.


chicken & spinach only 348 calories





1 comment:

  1. Nice job, Beth! Did Adam like it? 1. I'm afraid of the broiler
    2. I've never tried the "big" couscous. You like it?

    I've been getting some yummy recipes out of Good Housekeeping magazine lately.

    Tomorrow is W2D2... eek!

    ReplyDelete