Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Starting to get it together

This post is brought to you by the get-it-together initiative.

There comes a time when I look in the mirror and realize I have let myself get out of control. Maybe it's the comfort of marriage, maybe it's just a cycle of life, maybe I'm just being lazy but I have let myself get out of control.

Prompted by some helpful links from Ebeth Andaas (who is becoming a kind of regular guest star on this blog) I decided it was time for a plan. I joined her on the quest to keep track of what is going in my mouth and how often I am exercising using myfitnesspal, a free calorie counting & tracking website and app. It is fantastic. I started tracking on Friday and even got a few co-workers and friends in on it. I would LOVE to have even more friends on myfitnesspal so if you are also in need of a little spring reality check, join us!
In addition, I committed to the couch-to-5k training plan with Ebeth. For anyone who knows anything about me, I hate to run. So this is a BIG deal. But I think it will be worth it. After all, it's made for exercise haters like me who would rather just sit on the couch.

As motivation for this journey, I am going to use fun catch phrases (some of which are coined by my dad) such as but not limited to the following: 


"getting my fitness on"
"hey where did you get that energy? i gave it to myself"
"staying on the program"
"i don't want that [fill in blank with tempting food item] more than i want a size 4 waist"
"there's no hunger a little caffeine can't suppress"

I will also be using some strategies to keep my mind off of food, like:


"closing" the kitchen after dinner is done
keeping my hands busy while watching tv: brush the dogs, color in coloring books, work on scrapbooks
keeping healthy food in plain view and unhealthy options out of sight
avoiding just sitting as much as possible

I will not stop:


making tasty and interesting food for me & Adam
drinking a lot of iced doppios at Starbucks
going out to eat


So, here I go. Starting to make a difference in my health, happiness, and waistline.



As a side note, I have been choosing more vegetarian options in these first few days. I have been sticking to the calorie guidelines and don't feel hungry or deprived. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Yay, Yay! I blew it today due to dinner at the melting pot (I am up 529 cals for the day), but overall feeling the sam way as you. It's a fun little game to see if I can slide in just under my calorie goal for the day...like "The Price is Right!" And tomorrow starts the couch to 5k, that I find a little more daunting... stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I'm a little nervous about the Couch to 5k part. I figured posting it all publicly adds another dose of accountability to the plan!

    ReplyDelete